Sometimes when the cold damp weather lingers on and we keep switching the heating back on for the odd hour or two it really does begin to feel like the fine summer weather will never arrive. But it will and eventually we will be spending time outside in the garden and enjoying summer holidays, so with this in mind now is the perfect time to be thinking about how to keep your home safe during the summer months.
Below you will find some helpful tips and ideas to help you feel a little more relaxed whatever the weather does this summer.
- Store away ladders and tools especially when vacating the property
- Always ensure that garages and sheds are locked securely
- Don’t be tempted to leave hidden keys for family members as this is leaving direct easy access for an intruder and looking for a spare key will be first on their to-do list
- Add an outdoor security light, great for illuminating dark areas of the garden and exposing anything lurking that shouldn’t be
- Cut back large shrubs and trees that can create the perfect hiding places for someone to observe your property
Vacating the property
- Don’t be tempted to broadcast your holiday away with everyone you meet and definitely do not share your excitement and destination on social media
- Before you leave cancel and rearrange any newspaper or milk deliveries as these will build up, showing the property is empty
- Ask a trusted neighbour or friend to keep an eye on your home and ask if they can pull bins in and out so the property looks lived in
- Increase the effect of someone living in the property by adding timers to light switches that come on in the evenings.
- If you will be away for a sustained period of time ask your trusted neighbour or friend to check the interior of your home and remove any post stuck in the letterbox
- Add an alarm system to your home that has sensors on all entry points (doors) and in hall and landing areas.
- Keep all valuables such as jewellery, laptops, phones, game consoles and expensive handbags/ luggage out of view. Use storage boxes and where possible place items completely away, such as, in a wardrobe or cupboard
- Store away bank cards, keys and personal documents such as bank statements in a non-obvious location
- Ensure all windows are fitted with key locks and remember to lock fully when leaving the property
- If you are spending time in a back garden lock all windows and doors at the front of your home
Whatever you end up doing this summer, or wherever your travels may take you, don’t let your home be a temptation to an intruder.